The last two criteria – 5 and 6.
5. Patient has tongue to roof of the mouth and lips around bite block or closed together gently.
- Error: Patient does not have tongue to roof of the mouth creating a radiolucent band over the maxillary teeth.
Note the radiolucent band over the maxillary teeth
- Correction: Remind patient to put tongue to roof of mouth before leaving the room and starting exposure.
6. No visible metal present other than restorative materials.
- Error: Not all metal/removable dentures removed from patient including earrings, removable dentures and complete dentures. Creates ghost image which obscures the image.
(click image to enlarge)
Note the multiple metal objects not removed and the resulting ghost image obscuring different aspects of the pantomograph.
- Correction: Remove all metal on the external aspect of the patient (earrings, studs, hairpins, etc) and any removable metal from the oral cavity.
If you have any questions, comments or good examples of errors regarding these two specific criteria, please let me know. Thanks and enjoy!